For the past six years, I've taught in the city, and I loved it and my babies! Being from the country, my kiddos "schooled" me on city life, and at the same time they had a hard time understanding that Mrs. Whitaker lived in the "forest" and that I went deer hunting.
Well as you know, I now teach in the small country town of Sheridan. And although it's completely different than what I've been used to, I love it just as much. I crack up everyday at the funny comments from my "country kids" and the quirks of a small town. What's even funnier is that I grew up in a small town and I can totally relate. Some people even call me redneck because I like NASCAR.
Since school started I've been adding things to this list in my head about my country school, and I've decided to share them.
Top Ten Ways You Know You Teach at a Country School:
1. A survey of students favorite food includes deer meat.
2. NASCAR shirts are worn on a regular basis, including Dale Earnhardt Jr. shirts. (Kids after my own heart :)
3. Sweet Tea is served daily for teachers and staff!!!!!
4. Students writing include topics such as: deer hunting, four-wheeler riding, mud trucks, and fishing with "Paw Paw"
5. When a little girl comments that her thumb is hurting from writing, another student comments "like when my thumb hurts from four-wheeler riding."
6. Little boys are regularly seen practicing their form for bow hunting, and sometimes seen arguing over which hand to use for the release.
7. When asked what they did over the weekend, half of the class reports that they went to the Mud Races
8. Camouflage is an acceptable part of any ward robe.
9. Students are well educated on "Mutton Busting" and catching a greased pig at the county fair
And #10, my favorite!
10. In the school parking lot, you park next to a pick-up truck that has 3 large coon dogs (1 red bone, and 2 Walker's) that are howling like they've "treed" a coon at every person who walks by.
1 year ago



That is funny! I love it!
ReplyDeleteRon had red bone coon hunting dogs when he was young!